Misor Wat – Ethiopian Spicy Lentils
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 tsp. salt 1 red onion, diced
- ¾ tsp. ground caraway
- ½ cup Ethiopian Berebere
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Kettle of hot water
- 1Cook onion with oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 2Add hot water (about 2 tablespoons) after the first 10 minutes to prevent browning of onions. Continue cooking onions for another 20 minutes, adding hot water every 5 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- 3Add salt, berbere, and more water, lower to medium low heat.
- 4Add garlic and caraway, continue simmering and adding hot water as needed to prevent the mixture from thickening and sticking.
- 5Next, wash lentils until the rinse water is clear. Cover lentils with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- 6Drain lentils and add to onion mixture with 1 cup of water.
- 7Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to lightly cover lentils.
- 8Add coriander and cook about 20 minutes.
- 9Cover lentils, turn off heat and let rest on burner for 10 minutes before serving.
December 05, 2019
November 03, 2019
September 19, 2019