Aleppo Chicken Salad
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo Pepper
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 4 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried Greek Oregano + 1 additional teaspoon for dressing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3 1/2–4-pound chicken, cut into quarters or chicken thighs
- 2 6-inch pita breads, split
- 1 1/2 teaspoons zaatar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups baby lettuce leaves, or 1 head of Bibb lettuce, leaves torn
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 1 Using a large knife, chop 4 garlic cloves; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and mash to a paste using the side of the knife blade. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in Aleppo pepper, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, and 2 teaspoons oregano; season marinade with black pepper. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag; add marinade, seal bag, and turn to coat. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- 2Place a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 400°. Remove chicken pieces from marinade, season with salt and pepper, and place on a wire rack set inside a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until golden brown and cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 165° when inserted in the thickest part of thigh, 30–40 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 3 Meanwhile, place pita bread halves, cut side up, on another large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with za’atar, and season with salt. Bake until browned and crisp, 5–8 minutes. Let cool; break into bite-size pieces.
- 4Pull chicken meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; discard skin and bones. Place meat in a large bowl. Scrape in any juices from baking sheet and toss to combine.
- 5Combine parsley, lemon juice, and remaining 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 teaspoon oregano in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in remaining 1/2 cup oil; season with salt and pepper. Let vinaigrette stand 30 minutes; discard garlic.
- 6Add pita chips, lettuce, mint, and cilantro to bowl with chicken; drizzle salad with vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- DO AHEAD Pita chips and dressing can be made 2 days ahead. Chicken can be roasted and cut into pieces 1 day ahead. Cover and chill chicken and dressing separately. Store pita chips airtight at room temperature.
October 28, 2018
October 27, 2018
September 27, 2018