Amy’s Easy Pork Carnitas
This recipe for Easy Pork Carnitas comes to us from our dear Amy in the shop. In her recipe, the slow cooker or Instant Pot does most of the work for you and the result is foolproof Mexican pulled pork that is juicy and flavorful—perfect for tacos, tostadas, gorditas, quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos, nachos, or rice bowls. This recipe is gluten free, paleo and low carb, and makes excellent use of your Spice Tin spice stash!
- 5 pounds pork shoulder (pork butt) skinless, bone-in or for a leaner dish, pork tri-tip or pork loin
- Juice from 2 oranges and 1 lime
- Optional: 1 large diced red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Pork Carnitas Rub:
- 1 ½ Tbsp. dried chopped onion
- 1 tsp – 1 Tblsp dried chopped jalapeno
- 2 ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried chopped garlic
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder.
- Mix all the rub ingredients.
- Rub the olive oil over the pork.
- Rub the rub mix over the pork and place the pork in the slow cooker (fat cap up).
- Squeeze the orange and lime juice over the pork (add the bell pepper if desired).
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- The meat should be tender and falling off the bone. Remove the pork from the slow cooker. Shred the pork using two forks. Skim the fat off the juices left in the slow cooker and then drizzle the remaining juices over the pork.
- Fill your taco, burrito, etc. with the pork and garnish with cilantro, chopped onion, sliced black olives, fresh diced tomatoes, sautéed bell peppers cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, slaw, or lime wedges.
- To make the pork crispier, pan fry the pork over high heat in 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
Instant Pot Conversion:
Cut the ingredients in half. Follow directions #1-5. Add an additional 1 cup of broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable). Follow your Instant Pot cooking time for 2 ½ pounds of pork on high pressure.
July 19, 2021
July 18, 2021
July 17, 2021