What can be better than adding avocado and crisp, briny sea fennel to a caprese salad? Sea fennel, paccasassi, is an Italian seaside favorite.
Prep Time: 20 mins Serves: 6
- 1/2 pound red cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 pound yellow cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados , diced
- 1 cucumber , sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion , diced
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 1/4 cup Sea Fennel in Oil
- 2 cups chopped Romain Lettuce or salad greens of choice.
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1.8 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella cheese balls. Chop half of sea fennel and add to rest of ingredients.
Pulse dressing ingredients in food processor. Toss dressing with vegetables to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Plate lettuce topping with caprese mix. Garnish with sea fennel.
Capers in Wine Vinegar or Capers in Sicilian Sea Salt are both great substitutes for Sea Fennel in Oil.