Black Barley Salad (with Zahtar)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1.2 cup black barley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons almond slivers or pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chili
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup scallions, chopped, white and light green parts
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup cucumber, finely diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives,chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1Rinse the barley in a strainer under cold running water. Pat dry Bring 3 cups water, barley and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed. Give the grains a fluff with a fork before serving.
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, pine nuts, and jalapeno and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and za’atar and cook until the spinach has wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3 Combine the remaining olive oil, the pearl barley, black barley, spinach mixture, tomatoes, scallions, lime juice, parsley, cucumber, onion, vinegar, olives, and mint in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepperTop salad with crumbled feta