Curried Beef with Vegetables
This is a mildsweet and savory beef curry from Pakistan with hints of heat.
Recipe serves 8
- 1 pound beef round steak or stew meat cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (3 inch) pieces fresh ginger root, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Brown beef in large skillet or dutch oven. If using stew meat, simmer with 1/2 cup water or broth for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger, garlic, onions, and celery, and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Mix in the curry powder, coriander powder, five-spice powder, and turmeric, and toss to evenly coat the onion mixture. Cook about 5 minutes more, and stir in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, zucchini, and apples.
Stir in the beef with its cooking liquid, raisins, and cashews, and toss to evenly blend the spices.
Pour the beef and vegetable mixture into the casserole or baking dish. Drizzle 1/2 cup water over the mixture. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour.
**Notes:I like using round steak instead of stew meat. It is less “chewy”! I remove meat and use the same pan/skillet to saute the veggies and spices. This dish has so much flavor that you can cut back on the amount of beef.
April 15, 2018
October 13, 2017
June 03, 2017