[distance1][one_fourth] Serves: 6 people [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Prep Time: 20 min [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Difficulty: Beginner [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Cooking: 2 hours[/one_fourth][distance1]
- 2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons Ethiopian Berbere spice
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) crushed tomatoes in purée
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 1/2 pounds boned beef chuck, fat trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1In a food processor, pulse onions until very finely diced (almost puréed).
- 2Melt butter in 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir until browned, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add 2 T Berbere; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add tomatoes, wine, and beef; bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is very tender when pierced, about 2 hours.
- 5Add salt to taste.