- 1# French beans
- 1 cucumber peeled and chopped
- Top Ramen noodles (1 pkg, crushed)
- 1-2 tbsp sugar • Salt to taste
- 1 lime, juiced • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Top and tail the beans, string and cut into 2” lengths if necessary, depending on the size and age of the beans. Blanch in boiling salted water for two minutes. Drain the beans and immediately plunge them into ice water to prevent further cooking. When cold, drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Pour two tablespoons of oil into a non-stick frying pan place on a high heat. As soon as it starts to smoke, add the asafoetida, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. As soon as they begin to pop and splutter add the onions and garlic.
Cook till the onions become soft and begin to brown at the edges. Now add the beans and heat through continuing to stir.
Finally add the salt, sugar, lime juice and toasted sesame seeds. Toss everything together and adjust seasoning
- 1Asafoetida is a popular Indian spice made from dried tree resin. In addition to being very pungent (stinky!) it has onion/garlic flavor profile.
- 2Black mustard seeds are sharper in flavor than brown and yellow mustard seeds.