[distance1][one_fourth] Serves: 3-4 people [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Prep Time: 30 min [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Difficulty: Intermediate [/one_fourth][one_fourth] Cooking: 7 hours[/one_fourth][distance1]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 tomatoes or one can tomatoes (15 oz)
- 6 eggs
- Extra olive oil to serve
- Flatleaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3/4 c Greek yogurt
- Lemon juice
- 1Heat the 2 tbsp oil in large pan. Add next 4 spices and toast for about 4 minutes. Add ginger, onion and garlic. Saute until soft. Add red pepper, tomato and t tbsp water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 2While the veggies are cooking make the Sumac Yogurt by whisking all the ingredients together adding a bit of lemon juice.
- 3Make 6 hollows in the menemen mixture, crack the eggs into them. Cover and simmer gently until the eggs are cooked to you preference (about 6 – 10 minutes.) Remove from heat, drizzle with extra oil and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with yogurt sauce on side.
Note: The chili flakes adds heat to the dish. Substitute Aleppo, Guajillo or Pasilla chili for less heat.