- approximately 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 small cucumber peeled, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 handful of fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1 handful fresh chopped parsley
- few thinly sliced red onion rounds
- 4 cups baked or fried pita bread
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons sumac (this makes salad authentic)
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1To make dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, garlic clove, sumac, and vinegar in a cup or jar with lid and stir or shake. Set aside.
- 2To bake or fry pita bread, cut into approximately 1 inch pieces, then fry in low-medium heat till golden in color. Drain on paper towel. Or bake (healthier) for a couple of minutes in oven. I throw it in the oven, turn it to 350 degrees, and just check every couple of minutes until crispy. By the time the temp gets to 350, it is usually baked. Or for an easy substitution, you can use pita chips.
- 3In large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, mint, parsley, onion and pita bread. Toss with dressing, and serve.
- 1Purée veggies with a bit of the dressing to serve with shrimp.
- 2Blend veggie mix with sumac and tomato juice for an exotic twist on gazpacho.
- 3Use veggie mix with a bit of the dressing for a salsa blend; pita chips for dipping.
- 4Use veggie mix and dressing to fill pita bread for a refreshing, crunchy sandwich.