Spaghetti with Piment d’Espelette
Serves: 3-4 people
Prep Time: 30 min
Cooking: 7 hours
- 1# spaghetti pasta (I like Angel Hair)
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion; chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves; minced finely
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon ground Piment d’Espelette
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 4-5 anchovy filets
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup dried mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 # Pancetta diced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pecorino Romano cheese; shaved for garnish
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2Toss the onion and garlic into the olive oil in a large sauce pot set over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in the salt, pepper, basil, oregano, marjoram and Piment d’Espelette and stir together, cooking until the onion and garlic have softened slightly, approximately 5 minutes.
- 4Squeeze in the anchovy paste, tomato paste, mushrooms and mix together.
- 5Cook for another 30 seconds to allow the flavors to meld.
- 6Add tomatoes and bring the sauce to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and let cook uncovered for about half an hour.
- 7Take off the heat and stir in heavy cream and pancetta.
- 8Add in the thin spaghetti noodles to the large sauce pot and mix together.
- 9Serve spaghetti with shavings of Pecorino Romano.
*Use 3 -4 teaspoons Italian Blend in place of individual herbs.
*I like to add ½ cup frozen peas the last 10 minutes of simmering.
May 24, 2018
May 24, 2018
April 15, 2018